PITT OHIO, an industry-leading transportation and logistics company, announced they will be sending five of its drivers to compete at the American Trucking Associations National Truck & Step Driving Championships. The competition, recognizing the safest drivers in the country, will take place August 15-18 in Columbus, Ohio.
PITT OHIO’s safety program is highly regarded within the industry. A recipient of the President’s Trophy 6 times and multiple awards in states covering the Mid-Atlantic and Midwest regions, the company’s commitment to safety both on and off the road has prepared these drivers well for the qualifying state competition and the National Championship. 26 PITT OHIO drivers competed at the state level to qualify for nationals; 5 qualified by placing 1st in their respective categories.
Ohio State Championships
- Richie Bowman, from the company’s Columbus terminal, earned the first place finish in the 5-Axle Class Competition. This will be Richie’s second appearance at the National Competition. “Since the first time I was eligible to compete I have been hooked!” Bowman said. “PITT OHIO encourages all drivers to try their hand at the competition. Not only to get the experience, but also to promote safety and learn more about the importance of being a safe driver. The overall excitement of getting to the next level of competition is unlike anything I’ve experienced before and I’m so excited to compete at nationals. I would like to thank PITT OHIO for giving me the opportunity to do something I am very passionate about!
- Jeff Pentrack, from the company’s Columbus terminal, finished in first place in the 4-Axle Class Competition. This will be Jeff’s second year in a row at Nationals. “I have worked very hard in the last year and every year I learn more to improve my skills,” Pentrack said. “I have studied, practiced, and will be giving it my all in Columbus. We work together, we practice together, we will win together. Go Team PITT OHIO!”
Maryland State Championships
- Michael Miltenberger, from the company’s Cumberland terminal, earned the first place finish in the 5-Axle Class Competition and earned the Overall Grand Champion Award for scoring the highest among all drivers in the State. This will be Mike’s fourth time competing on the national stage. Miltenberger said, “I enjoy the comradery that we build at the TDC’s. We are all competing against each other, but are still encouraging everyone to do their best. Competing helps me to be on top of my game all the time. Sharpening my skills and knowledge of this ever growing industry is a must. ‘Don’t become a distracted driver make it home alive,’ no matter what you drive. Always watch out for the other guy!”
West Virginia Championships
- Paul Norman, from the company’s Charleston terminal, earned the first place finish in the Flatbed Class. This will be Paul’s third appearance at the National Competition. Norman said, “I consider it a great honor to represent PITT OHIO and the great state of West Virginia in the National event.”
- Charles Randolph, from the company’s Charleston terminal, finished in first place in the Straight Truck Class Competition. This will be Charles’ fourth time competing at nationals. Randolph said, “This experience is a fantastic opportunity to showcase the trucking industry and PITT OHIO. Special thanks to Chuck Hammel for letting us compete.”
The Truck Driving Championships, a 3-day competition, is an opportunity for professional truck drivers to demonstrate their driving skills and safety expertise. The event includes a difficult driving-skills challenge, pre-trip inspection and written examination covering vehicle operation and knowledge of federal safety regulations.
“I would like to congratulate all five drivers for making it to the National Truck Driving Championships,” Jeff Mercadante, Vice President of Safety at PITT OHIO, said. “All five drivers are true professionals and have the ability to win their class and the prestigious award of Grand Champion. Good Luck at the NTDC!”
PITT OHIO’s Manager of Training & Development, Dean Yockey works with the drivers to prepare them for the national competition. “I am incredibly proud of the five drivers that will represent PITT OHIO at the National Truck Driving Championship,” Yockey said. “They are among the best of the best competing for the title of National Champion. I commend them for all of their hard work and dedication to make it to this prestigious event and wish them the best of luck as they compete in Columbus! Go Team PITT OHIO!”
ABOUT PITT OHIO
In adhering to their “We’re Always There For You” signature commitment, PITT OHIO is dedicated to providing their customers with the best value in its SUPPLY CHAIN, GROUND, Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) and TRUCKLOAD services. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, PITT OHIO services the entire Mid-Atlantic and Mid-West regions and the remainder of the United States and Canada with North American service providers. To contact PITT OHIO, please visit their website at www.pittohio.com.
ABOUT AMERICAN TRUCKING ASSOCIATIONS
American Trucking Associations (ATA) is the largest national trade association for the trucking industry. Through a federation of 50 affiliated state trucking associations and industry-related conferences and councils, ATA is the voice of the industry America depends on most to move our nation's freight.
ABOUT NATIONAL TRUCK DRIVING CHAMPIONSHIPS
The National Truck Driving Championships (NTDC) is a competition of professional truck drivers hosted each year by American Trucking Associations. This competition has a long history – dating back to 1937 when it was known as the National Truck Rodeo. The NTDC competitors are made up of the winners in eight classes of competition from 50 State Trucking Associations’ Truck Driving Championships, as well as the winners of the auto transporters class at the regional TDCs.
For more information, please contact
Candi Cybator, Manager Marketing/Public Relations
1-800-366-7488, extension 6313