Pittsburgh, PA (March 21st, 2014) - PITT OHIO released its 2013 Sustainability Report today highlighting the company’s efforts to lower its environmental impact, find efficient transportation solutions for its customers, be a good corporate and community citizen, and support its employees.
PITT OHIO is committed to doing its best to achieve environmental and social responsibility. Using the three-tiered approach, “People, Planet and Profit,” PITT OHIO operates in a balanced way that reduces its impact on the planet, supports the community and ensures the future of the organization.
The Alliance awards program, now in its second year, recognizes excellence in supply chain performance resulting from the close cooperation and collaboration of supply chain partners. Awarded in five distinct categories, The Alliance looks at more than the outcome of the supply chain partnerships; it also examines the dynamic partnerships that were formed to drive results. A panel of distinguished judges examined the role of each of the partners and the contributions their individual and collective efforts made to solving a supply chain problem or driving change and continuous improvement in a supply chain.
Chief Marketing Officer and Executive Vice President, Geoff Muessig, said "In 2013 PITT OHIO succeeded in reducing it carbon footprint by 1.4 % as measured on a per shipment basis. In 2014 PITT OHIO will continue to advance our People, Planet, Profit sustainability strategy to create a competitive advantage for our customers and our company."
PITT OHIO’s 2013 Sustainability Report can be accessed at www.pittohio.com/sustainabilityreport
Highlights of the report are detailed below.
- PITT OHIO reduced its normalized carbon output by 1.4% over 2012 levels through improved fleet MPG and reducing our electricity by almost half a percent.
- PITT OHIO partnered with MACK to pilot CNG vehicles that run clean while having the power to move freight efficiently.
- PITT OHIO continued construction of its LEED Certified Gold facility in Harmarville, Pennsylvania which has been recognized for its innovative use of direct, rather than alternating, current.
- PITT OHIO continued to install best in class solutions at our legacy buildings to find efficiencies, including solar panels at our East Windsor facility making it one of 300 energy neutral sites in the country. Because of electronic invoicing and leveraging Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) software, our paper usage per shipment went down 2.8%, which saved approximately 55 trees.
- PITT OHIO continued to share data from our carbon calculator to help customers understand their Scope 3 greenhouse gas emissions.
- PITT OHIO employees continued to be the company’s top priority as demonstrated by its competitive wages, best in industry benefits, a wellness program, training programs, and an award-winning safety department. The company was recently recognized as one of Pittsburgh’s Top Places to Work for the third year in a row.
- PITT OHIO’s employees supported the community by contributing over $71,000 to Autism Speaks, The Boys & Girls Clubs of America and The Make-A-Wish Foundation.
- PITT OHIO received the Heinz Endowments’ first Breathe Award, as well as Supply and Demand Chain Executive Award 2013 Green Award Recipient. We participate with Sustainable Pittsburgh and qualified at Challenger level for Sustainable Pittsburgh’s Business Compact.
- PITT OHIO posted strong financial results which will enable the company to invest in rolling stock and infrastructure in 2014.
PITT OHIO will strengthen its competency in the area of transportation sustainability in 2014. For more information about PITT OHIO’s sustainability program and for the full 2013 Sustainability Report, please visit www.pittohio.com.
About PITT OHIO
In adhering to their "We´re Always There For You" signatue commitment, PITT OHIO is dedicated to providing their customers with the best value in its SUPPLY CHAIN, GROUND, Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) and TRUCKLOAD services. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, PITT OHIO services the entire Mid-Atlantic and Mid-West regions and the remainder of the United States, Canada and Mexico with The Reliance Network. To contact PITT OHIO, please visit their website at:www.pittohio.com.
For more information, please contact
Manager of Marketing & Public Relations
PITT OHIO | 15 27th Street | Pittsburgh, PA 15222
Phone: 800-366-7488 ext. 6313