Pittsburgh, PA (October 19, 2020) – PITT OHIO, a leader in transportation and logistics services, announced the completion of its new, state-of-the-art, LEED* Certified terminal in Parma, Ohio to service its customers in the Cleveland area. The 111,000 square foot facility includes a terminal, mechanic shop, office and warehouse, and will employ 182 employees, including drivers, dockworkers, mechanics, and office personnel.
Guided by the company’s LEED Gold Certified terminal in Pittsburgh, PA, PITT OHIO’s goal was to reduce the building’s impact on the environment throughout all phases of its life cycle, including: siting, design, construction, operation, maintenance and removal.
Building upon past experience, PITT OHIO partnered with WindStax Energy to design and install a ZeroFirst® high voltage DC microgrid using PV and wind turbines to generate, store, and consume renewable energy on-site. Excess renewable energy is sent back to the utility when generation exceeds demand. This schema strikes a balance between self-consumption and net metering to reduce the facilities' annual carbon footprint.
PITT OHIO replicated the solar and wind power plan from Pittsburgh and enhanced it by installing eight 60’ WindStax Energy wind turbines and 1,500 rooftop solar panels to store close to 540,000 kWH in the facilities renewable energy powered microgrid. The energy will be stored and consumed on-site with the excess sent to the local utility grid. The wind and solar-based microgrid will use PITT OHIO’s patented process of taking wind and solar energy into a battery system and the subsequent distribution of that power to points of use. “This system will generate enough electricity to power a community of 50 average US households and offset 421 tons of carbon monoxide annually,” said Justine Russo, PITT OHIO’s Director of Sustainability. “That is the equivalent to eliminating one million miles driven by the average passenger car every year.”
After one year of operation, the commissioning engineer will test and verify the energy model to determine LEED* certification level. “All three of our sustainability pillars were thought of when constructing this facility,” PITT OHIO President, Chuck Hammel III, said. “It gives our people a safe, environmentally-friendly place to work. It furthers our commitment to the planet and reducing our carbon output through renewable energy and fuel efficiency. It solidifies our purpose as an innovative organization who aligns with various organizations who share our same approach of being committed to improving sustainability for future generations.”
The new facility is equipped to align with PITT OHIO’s commitment to a sustainable culture, and includes:
• Recycled material content in seating, tables, office chairs, work stations/cubicles, lounge seating, shelving and storage, and height adjustable tables
• Greater than 1,500 Solar Panels producing an estimated 500,823 kWh annual yield
• Eight 60’ WindStax wind turbines producing an estimated 38,237 kWh annually
• Storm water detention including bioswales and water-efficient landscaping including native plants and species that are tolerant to the region’s climate.
• Low-flow fixtures and waterless urinals reduce water use to 30% below standar
• The building site orientation is situated to take advantage of maximum daylight capacities. Large translucent window panels installed on the dock to allow for abundant natural light during the daytime.
• Over 870 LED lights, which are 80% more efficient than traditional lighting, and reduces the carbon footprint by up to a third.
• Office – 43% savings in energy usage
• Terminal and warehouse – 30-40% savings in energy usage
• Mechanic Shop – 23% savings in energy use
• Electric Forklifts, which save oil and electricity and emits zero carbon.
• Geothermal Heating and Cooling System, which is an efficient process that takes advantage of the ground temperature of the earth, which is a constant 55 degrees.
• 30 well field comprised of 6 circuits of five 360 feet deep wells
• The maintenance shop also includes radiant heating from a 15 well field comprised of 3 circuits of five 600 feet deep wells
• Locally sourced materials
For the safety and comfort of our people, the new facility is equipped with:
• Electric standup forklifts with extended reach
• Heated warehouse with oversized ceiling fans for efficient heat distribution
• Sprinkler system in case of emergencies
• Haz Mat certified warehouse
• Inside and outside LED security cameras and solar charged electric security fence around the terminal as well as a centralized security system throughout the office
The terminal is located on 23.65 developed acres at 5570 Chevrolet Boulevard, 3 miles from its previous location in Cleveland. PITT OHIO has maintained a presence in the Cleveland area for 40 years.
ABOUT PITT OHIO
In adhering to their “We’re Always There For You” signature commitment, PITT OHIO is dedicated to providing their customers with the best value in its SUPPLY CHAIN, GROUND, Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) and TRUCKLOAD services. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, PA, PITT OHIO services the entire Mid-Atlantic and Mid-West regions and the remainder of the United States and Canada with the PITT OHIO Transportation Group and additional North American service providers. To contact PITT OHIO, please visit their website at www.pittohio.com.
*LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED certified buildings save money and resources and have a positive impact on the health of occupants, while promoting renewable, clean energy. Certified Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels of LEED certification are awarded based on the total number of points earned within six categories: sustainable sites, water efficiency and atmosphere, materials and resources, indoor environmental quality, and innovation and design. Certification level determined after one year of operation.
For more information, please contact
Candi Cybator, Director of Marketing
1-800-366-7488, extension 6313